The funeral home originated as the Dawson Undertaking Company, founded by W. D. DuPree, R. R. Highbaugh and Fred Lassiter. Mr. DuPree acquired it fom the other partners in 1935 and operated it in a store building on Lee Street until 1949. At that time the business was moved to the residence of Mr. DuPree's son and daughter-in-law, C. W. "Red" and Henrietta DuPree, at 920 E. Lee Street.
In 1961, a new modern chapel was constructed on Crawford Street and in 1968 the present structure was completed, offering to the citizens of Terrell County and the surrounding areas a facility of quality not usually found in a small town.
On November 6, 1978, C. W. "Red" and Henrietta DuPree sold DuPree Funeral Home to John W. "Bill" Harvey, a native of Leslie. Barbara T. Harvey joined her husband in the operation of the business in 1978. On January 1, 1980 the business was incorporated and the name changed to Harvey Funeral Home, Inc.
On February 24, 1997 Harvey Funeral Home, Inc. merged with the Loewen Group of Funeral Homes. On June 13, 2007 John W. "Bill" Harvey and his son, John W. Harvey, Jr. purchased the business back as an independent family-owned funeral home, Harvey Funeral Home, LLC.